Wednesday 30 November 2011

Jo Sharp granny square baby blanket

Wow, two posts in a week. What's with the burst of energy?

This is a demonstration of how I am a sucker for a kit. I bought this blanket kit from the Jo Sharp shop because I fell in love with the colours. I paid no mind to the fact that I had no recipient in mind let alone to whom I could give such an extravagant (and high maintenance) gift. Even at 40% off or something it was still pretty exxy as Jo Sharp yarn tends to be (although her pack sales can be good value if you can find a colour you like). In addition, this is not the sort of thing you can just bung in the washer! I can't even remember when I made this it was so long ago - probably March or April, and I didn't put it on Ravelry so it will remain a mystery.


The design is super easy, just granny squares with a white centre and solid squares in 2 coordinating colours - mine are mareschino and arizona (hmmm, seems to be discontinued) in Jo Sharp Desert Aran cotton. I think I used a 6mm hook from memory. I crocheted the squares together as I went since I hate sewing together and I have found cotton doesn't always stay sewn either! This would look better if the final round of each square was the same colour but it's not too bad.

The kit was supposed to make a blanket 5 X 7 squares but it became obvious pretty early on that there was not enough yarn for this so I modified the design to make a square blanket with a wide double crochet (single crochet in the US) border, finished with a simple scalloped edge. The pattern provided skipped the usual chain space between blocks of trebles (US dcs) but with the fat yarn and fat hook that wasn't working for me.

As an aside, usually when I knit I have quite a lot of leftover yarn but the two Jo Sharp kits I have used have both run out before the end. Not sure what is with that - I guess Jo Sharp's tester must be even more frugal than me!
Anyway, impracticalities aside I think this is a seriously cute blanket, it didn't take long to whip up and for such a simple design it has great impact. Fortunately there is now a potential recipient on the horizon. The prospective parents will find out at Christmas whether or not they are having a boy or a girl so there is a 50:50 chance of this blanket finding a home in the next few months.

Final note - Desmo did her best to 'help' me with blocking this project too but I was watching her closely this time. This is her acting all innocent.

1 comment:

marysews said...

Red for a boy, pink for a girl - you've got it covered!