Wednesday 4 November 2009

Wardrobe Comp Review - Simplicity 2659

So this is garment number 6 (I think) of my wardrobe. Note that the pants in this photo are not part of the plan, I just wore them so you can see how the tunic will look untucked.

Pattern Description:
Misses & Miss Petite Dress, Tunic, Cropped Trousers, Shorts and Bolero.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut a 12, adding a little to the side seams below the waist.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, for the most part - I don't think my pleats sit as nicely as they do on the model. Here they are close up.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, this was a very straightforward pattern and the pieces fit together nicely without having to resort to 'gentle persuasion'.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
When I first saw this pattern the unusual pleats really attracted me. I was a bit surprised no one had reviewed it yet. When I looked even closer the exposed zip really appealed. I saw the look around last summer and didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

Fabric Used:
Ivory cotton dobby that has been in my stash for donkey's years!

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I added at the side seams to accommodate my hips. I didn't do an fba but the armholes feel a little snug so maybe I should have. I narrowed out the upper back as I normally would.

I couldn't find a 'novelty zip' to suit anywhere, and I looked and looked (not online admittedly!). I really wanted metal teeth, and preferably gold, as IMHO the plastic chunkey zips look a bit naff. I ended up using a separating zip which I shortened from the top using instructions in a BWOF magazine. So the zip now extends to the bottom of the top and it goes on like a backwards jacket. I didn't want the tape on the outside so I just sewed it in like a normal open ended zip. I love how it looks like a metal spine down the back!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I would probably make the dress version to wear on summer weekends, and I would consider making the tunic in an evening fabric if the occasion arose - but it's a bit too distinctive to make another work top the same.

Conclusion:
This is a very cute top and it looks good tucked into a skirt or over pants.

6 comments:

Connie B said...

That top is adorable! Congrats for having 6 pieces done. I'm afraid that my wardrobe is coming along much too slowly to be fininshed in time!

McVal said...

So cute! I need to do this wardrobe upgrade soon. Probably won't get to it until after Christmas tho

Eugenia said...

That's a really cute top. I love the pleats and the zipper is a really nice touch.

Gail said...

I love how versatile this top is. The exposed zip is great.

Sue said...

Cute top - the zip looks great. Just catching up with blog reading and I love your McCall's ruffle top too (note to self - must dig that pattern out!)

Kristin said...

Very cool blouse! Thank you for the helpful review; I'm gonna try this because yours turned out so awesome (WAY better than the envelope photo).