Thursday 3 April 2008

Endings and beginnings



So here is the finished shift dress. I put it on one of the dummies at work to photograph – isn’t she gorgeous? Sadly the shape and the colour do nothing for me so I probably won’t get a lot of wear out of this except possibly over a long sleeved black T in the winter. Anyway I have many more exciting (and successful) projects to post about in the near future…


I have also finished the mermaid scarf I was crocheting but haven’t had a chance to photograph it yet, stay tuned.





On to new projects. Here is the toile I made for the dress I intend to wear to the May wedding. To remind you the pattern is M5466, view B. I cut a size 12 to the armholes then graduated out to a 14 at the waist and hips. When I tried it on I could not move my arms! A nifty FBA (full bust alteration) sorted that out so now it fits nicely. As an aside, I’ve never needed to do this alteration before as I’m only a C cup so most patterns fit okay without it. I guess the newer, more fitted styles are going to require more toile making (awesome – not!).



No, my dress dummy does not have a lean, I am just a TERRIBLE photographer!

I will be making several design changes to the dress. The front is fine as is but I don’t like the pleats in the back. The ones in the back neck make me look like a hunchback and as for the skirt pleats, let’s just say my butt does not need any help in that way! I’ll simply fold out the pleats from the neck edge and convert the skirt pleats into darts. I may leave the sleeves as is or I might convert them to tulip sleeves to give me a bit more movement, haven’t decided on that one yet. I’ll also be fully lining the dress in silk habutae. I’ll have a belt made but I’m not sure if I’ll wear it on this occasion.

I’ve also made a trial version of the jacket I’ll be wearing and am really happy with it. As soon as I finish the buttons and buttonholes I’ll post on that one too.

That’s all for now.

No comments: